Thursday, April 23, 2009

Goodbye Granny


Helen Elizabeth Jones
December 1, 1917 - April 18, 2009

On April 18, my heart was broken in a million tiny pieces when my Granny quietly left this life. Although I'm sad, I feel so grateful to have had so many wonderful years with a woman who meant more to me that I could ever express in words. She taught me to be patient and kind and to always be respectful. She spoiled me not with material things, but with the kind of love that only a grandmother can give. She was my biggest cheerleader and supported me in everything I did. There are so many special memories that just the two of us shared; playing Annie Over, the endless games of Monopoly with the big red dice, our love of Braum's Butter Brickle ice cream and the memory most special to me, sleeping back to back.
She raised an awesome woman in my mother, who did an amazing job raising me, and now it's my turn to pass on the wisdom and values instilled in me onto my children. I wish my kids had more time with her; they loved her so much. When she was still living at her house, she had a little red mailbox that she would fill with trinkets or toys, or maybe just a quarter, just for them. They would get so excited that sometimes, I swore they were going to jump out of the car before it stopped moving! And when she could no longer live by herself and moved in with my mom and dad, the mailbox followed. My kids are young, and I know their memories of Granny will fade over time, but I am sure that the legacy of the little red mailbox will live on forever in their hearts.
I know that she is in a far better place now. She's with her parents, brothers, son Gary and the love of her life, my Papaw. And there's no doubt in my mind that he's already driving her crazy, talking her ear off.
I'll see her again someday, and she'll be waiting on me with a big bowl of Butter Brickle and a hug. I love you Granny.

3 comments:

~Erin said...

Wendi~I am so very sorry for your loss. I lost my Grandma 11 days before Drew was born. I so wish that my children had known her but you are right about the legacy living on. You are so blessed to have had so many wonderful memories.....and those are the things that carry our loved ones with us until we met again.
Prayers of healing love......
~Erin

Giaellis2 said...

That was beautiful and touching. It made me miss my grandparents whom both died 3 months apart and 2 mos before Ava was born. My Grandpa was May 01, Grandma was Aug 01 and Ava was born Oct. 01. Both tried soooooooo hard to hold on and wait for their first great-grandchild to be born :( It makes me so sad that they never got to know them. I have comfort in knowing they're with us in spirit and that we will all be reunited again one day. Our time on this earth is short. You are sooooo blessed to have that love in your life with you Granny that some have never had ever. My thoughts and prayers are with you Red :)

Jill said...

Wendi, that was absolutely beautiful. I'm sitting here in tears. You are so lucky that you had such a wonderful relationship with your granny and that you will have so many great memories of her. You are truly blessed. You and your family will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.